Friday, February 2, 2007

Coming to Nigeria

Sphere: Related Content

I haven't posted for a while because I was away on compulsory training. This last trip was my second longest time away from Nigeria. Whenever I travel out of the country (to developed countries) it usually for a week or so but this time I was out for two weeks. Ordinarily this shouldn't be an issue but the truth is that the longer you stay away from Nigeria, the more difficult it is to adjust when you get back. You get used to constant power supply, an efficient transportation system, running water all the time and everything at your finger tips. You then have to come back to Nigeria and the first thing you face is several touts offering to help carry your luggage, change forex for you and generally make you "feel at home". The last thing you want after a long trip is badgering and harrassment. You then drive out of one of the worst airports in the world and observe that the sides of the roads are littered with debris. That is if the traffic leading to Ajao Estate doesn't stop you in your tracks. You know, if you are visiting Nigeria for the first time, this is exactly what you will encocunter. Day in day out new visitors to Nigeria have their worst fears confirmed when they experience such a rowdy and mad airport.

I am happy to be back home and I have no intentions of relocating but I honestly wish our leaders will take steps to improve the lot of Nigerians. These people visit other countries and see the way things are. I don't think it is impossible for Lagos to have a mass transit system just like London, Paris or New York. It is very doable. All we need is a man with a vision and of course the tenacity to see it through. We have enough money to meet all our requirements but mismanagement, corruption and a lack of vision has kept us at this level. I'm not asking for Nigerian scientists to take us to Mars, just basic things that don't require extra brains to do.

I am confident that it will happen in my lifetime!

No comments: