Thursday, December 28, 2006

We can do better

Sphere: Related Content

I forgot to say a Merry Christmas and a truly wonderful new year to everyone. Albeit that this Christmas wasn't at all merry for some. My cousin lost his wife in a fatal car accident two Saturdays ago. December will never be the same for him again. The realisation that he could do nothing to save her must be crushing. I pray that god will give the entire family of the Adebiyis the Grace to bear this loss. If you hear the way some men talk to their wives you would think they want them dead. If my cousin could turn back the hands of time, he would take back every put down and less than nice word he ever said to his wife. I sure will learn to appreciate mine a bit better. She's in the hospital with my son who has a respiratory infection. He's going home today though. Just in time to move to our new house. I went there this morning and saw the ghastly work that had been done. Some lout who was hired to paint the place did such a sloppy job that the entire thing has to be redone.

Makes we wonder why excellence is not celebrated in Nigeria anymore. Everybody wants to cut corners, jump queues, use substandard materials and generally do the worst they can possibly do. I remember the buildings put up in my University in the 60s and 70s are much better looking than those put up in the 90s. Are we getting worse? I don't think we need Oyinbo people to do everything for us. Nigerians are talented and industrious and honestly...we can do better. We certainly can do better. It takes discipline and rigour but it can be done.

No comments: