Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Merry Xmas Naija style

Sphere: Related Content

Xmas has come and gone with most of it spent queuing for fuel. We were all still grumbling about having to buy black market fuel when the sad sad news of how several hundred Nigerian citizens driven by poverty to commit suicide were roasted to death. Some people blame them for their deaths but I also lay the blame on poverty. If I can afford to eat three square meals, it is not likely that I will risk being burnt alive for a few thousand Naira. Honestly, this has to stop. Some touts who were interviewed said they will continue to vandalise pipelines and steal fuel because it is either they die of hunger or they face the risks inherent in carrying out such a dastardly act. I really feel for the families of the people who died in the explosion. Yet another tragedy that could have been adverted.

I spent the first two hours of today queuing for fuel and fighting some rascals who were trying to jump the fuel queue. I wonder what posseses responsible Nigerians to do such things. I asked a man at the filling station what he would say to his children if he saw them jumping a line at school. His answer? That is a completely different situation. He kept asking me "aren't you a Nigerian?" As if Nigerian and lawless lout mean the same thing. This just has to stop. Period.

No comments: