Monday, December 18, 2006

Goodnight and goodluck

Sphere: Related Content

The last couple of days have been interesting. First of all, my wife set me up by getting a very senior person in my company to call me and tell me that I had to have an urgent meeting. I was worried that I had done something wrong. Turns out she planned a surprise dinner and wanted to get me out of the house. God bless wives for their ingenuity! And mine for always thinking about our happiness. Second, one Umar Yar'adua has emerged as the ruling PDP flag bearer. He is to be assisted by one Goodluck Jonathan. All of this so that the PDP can continue to rule Nigeria through a shadow government known as the PDP board of trustees. Is this what we have been reduced to? I would have offered the consolation that the opposition parties will form a coalition and field a consensus candidate. But no, selfish ambition and chop I chop politics won't let the AC and ANPP choose between Atiku Abubakar and Muhammadu Buhari.

Let's even assume that both parties decide to field separate candidates. We are left with the choice of Yar'adua, Buhari and Atiku. We are really spoilt for choice this time around. What exactly is the PDP's plan? And what will become of the opposition parties. Vibrant politics requires strong opposition parties to keep the ruling party in check. And unlike the past when politicians could leave the PDP and still remain relevant, there is nothing to leave to again...

While I feel comfortable with Yar'adua because of his integrity and prudence, I can't seem to articulate his vision for Nigeria. Granted that corruption is a major problem in Nigeria, lack of visionary leadership is also a problem. Can this man rise to the occasion and continue what Chief Olusegun Obasanjo started? Can he break the mold and recast a new vision for Nigeria or will it continue to be business as usual like a dog chasing its tail?! Like I keep saying, we need something different and we need it now!

No comments: