Monday, January 8, 2007

Red means Stop!

Sphere: Related Content

If there is one thing that drives me up the wall and makes me sick to the pit of my stomach it is disobeying traffic lights. I happened to pass through Ogunlana Drive in Surulere in Lagos four times during the last week and stopped at every traffic light along the way. Alas, I was the only one stopping! Everybody simply drove past the traffic light when it showed red. I used to think only commercial buses, (danfos and molues) commercial motor bikes (okadas) and taxis. But ordinary citizens like you and I that abuse the President at every opportunity do it too. The most annoying part of the experience is the fact that everyone abused me for stopping at the red light! I felt really bad at the fact that I was insulted for doing the right thing while doing the wrong thing gets celebrated. We balk at the level of corruption and abuse every public office holder yet we can't stop at a simple traffic light for 2 minutes. It appears we expect a higher moral standard from our leaders than we practise ourselves. This lawlessness has got to stop!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Red has always meant go - One day, the madness will stop!