Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Where can I find a good carpenter..

Sphere: Related Content


...or a plumber, electrician, tailor, welder or whatever artisan I need to get work done. This is one of the most agonising things about Nigeria these days. I remember trying to fix a curtain pole and the carpenter down my street started to hammer one side into the wall. Before I could inspect what he had done he almost started fixing the other side. All this without a single tape rule! By the time he was done one side was lower than the other. I mean, what can be so difficult about fixing a curtain pole. Baba whatever he was called had no idea why I should be fretting so much. After all it was almost straight.

The same thing happened when I tried to do a mosquito net for the front door. So I'm thinking, a wooden frame knocked together with wire mesh should keep the blood suckers out. So I asked my wife to get a carpenter from down the road. Nine hours later, the Frankenstein's monster he put together was already falling apart. The guy was sweating so profusely and commending himself for a job well done. The thing lasted a few weeks before we had to take it down.

The same thing must have happened with other artisans in the past. What about the guy that did the plumbing for the house I moved into about a year ago. The shower in my bedroom has never ever worked. Why would the plumber fix a shower that doesn't work, get paid and then tell the owner of the house that the job is done. What about the electrician? It is only the Grace of God that has prevented my house from barbecuing to a crisp. I've had dealings with just about every type of artisan and they are all the same.

I could go on and on about my experiences with artisans in this country as I'm sure most people have. My point is that there are no standards for artisans in this country. Anybody can get up and set up a shop and do whatever trade they so please. A guy my sister introduced to me to make curtains has been holding on to the last leg of the job for two months. I called him and asked him how far he had gone and he told me he was in Ibadan doing some plumbing work. Did I hear right? A tailor was dabbling into plumbing! He proudly told me that he is also a builder, foreman and every known artisan rolled into one. Of course he still hasn't delivered.

The UK has the NVQs (National Vocational Qualifications) for artisans and other technical professions while vocational education in the US is typically offered through community colleges. The system isn't perfect but it ensures people are sure of what they're getting when they hire an artisan. What do we have in Nigeria? A centuries old apprenticeship system that doesn't work anymore. Nobody wants to spend 5 to 10 years as an apprentice and not get paid for it. The period of apprenticeship has gotten so short that not enough skills are passed on to make a meaningful impact

So how do we ensure that the quality of artisans improves?
  1. By setting up proper training institutes for different professions

  2. Developing standards for workmanship, materials and professional conduct

  3. Certifying artisans depending on the level of skill and experience

  4. Regular auditing and assessment of artisans to ensure consistency

  5. Continuing professional development

  6. Setting up a consumer complaints commission and ensuring compensation for defective work done by artisans

Maybe then I can stop my heart palpitations every time I hire a carpenter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kenny,

you just touched on a very sore point in this country. The truth be told, the reason why some of these artisans are still below the poverty line is because of the way they approach their work. They lose out on the best and cheapest form of advertisement: WORD OF MOUTH! While they think they can rip you off, they always lose out in the long run. I believe strongly that when our artisans get their acts right, it will improve this country a lot more than any billion dollar budget from the Federal Government can do. Its so sad that one is unable to recommend an artisan you use to another just because of "silly" work they seem to perform...

Gbolade

kshorty1 said...

Got this post from a friend of mine.

Hey Kendu, what's been happening, how's the family, I read your blog on artisan workers, pretty funny but true. On this side of the world a lot of house projects are done by "harry the home owner"(which is you), however if you have to call on a plumber or an electrician or a carpenter, Lord have mercy, they think they are doctors or neuro surgeons or lawyers, and probably make just as much. The process here is that there is a building code which consists of uniform standards of how artisan workers are surpposed to perform certain tasks and it is adopted by every state in the union; mechanical(plumbing) code, electrical code, architechtural code and fire code, elevator code and so on, you have to be licensed by the city or county, in some areas you have to be licensed by the state. The licened contractor or architect which you have hired will now apply for building permits from the city or county government and the city or county governments have inspectors that go arround to inspect that the work done is up to code, and also looking for illegal/unpermited constructions or unlicensed contractors to either fine them, shut down the operation, or intiate a criminal prosecution on the violators. Now what's complicated is, certain level of work requires certain level of certification, you have the apprentice, you have the journey man's licensed plumber's and electrician's and so on; and you have masters licensed plumbers and electricians, they of course charge the most money; eg. this is true; minimum of $450.00 an hr and a minimum of 3hrs of which 1hr is for distance traveled to the location of the job, now thats a neuro surgeon or cancer surgeon's salary.
No matter where you are, you'll either get mad for the level of work performed in Niaja or you'll be really mad for the amount of money you've paid for a very little work done. Now if the work done is below standard and unsatisfactory, most if not all cities and counties have what you call consumer protection office which will open an investigation and try to work it out for you.
My analysis is quite accurate, that's because I'm a real estate investor/developer, so I deal with these guy's on a daily basis. Some days you feel like strangling them, when they show up for work with a cooler of beer and forget their box of tools, or soon as you make a quick run, they make a quick run to go give estimate for another job and take the rest of the day off...lol...some times I just start praying for myself and for them.

Unknown said...

...An' maybe if you stopped calling them artisans and simply say workmen, they will stop being so damn wayward and so good work for you. The name sef. What is artisan? And while we are at it, what is vulcaniser? The word is not even in the dictionary...Nigerian English na wa. Why do we say the man is late, when he's dead and gone and why do women here put to bed. And if i hear "not on seat" one more time, I swear I'll kill someone, I mean, |i'll make someone late. Does it mean my mother didnt put me to bed properly for me to speak like this?

Unknown said...

Really, you're so right. In Nigeria, we have so many "Jacks of all trades" and "Masters of None". Every artisan can do everything else. Their so called associations do nothing except collect contributions and chop money when they can.
But again we can't blame the artisans. There're too many of them for a particular trade to be profitable, unless they're real experts and they don't want to dedicate the time to do that.
Great post sir.

kshorty1 said...

@ Gbolade: Penny wise pound foolish. There's a A/C repair guy in my church that rips people off. We were discussing the guy just yesterday. How can you claim to be a Christian and still do such things. God help us!

@ Boosh: Naija English is truly something else. We've all introduced a bit of it into our lingo. I think I'll do a post about it. LOL

@ Tayo: Great response. Will people be prepared to pay more for better service? You get what you pay for really. I only wish we had professional firms that could offer a higher level of service and I'd pay more. At least you'll be sure of what you are getting.